The Thing starring Mary Elizabeth Winstead is now streaming on Netflix, and it’s one of the movies on the platform that everyone’s watching. Yet, it entirely integrates with the 1982 science fiction film. The Thing, a 2011 film with Mary Elizabeth Winstead, Joel Edgerton, and Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje starring, was directed by Matthijs van Heijningen Jr. (The Forgotten Battle). It centres on a group of scientists at a Norwegian Antarctic research station discovering an alien spacecraft buried in the ice. Similar to the film directed by John Carpenter and the original 1951 version of the novella Who Goes There? The alien, The Thing from Another World, comes to life and starts killing people one at a time.
The fact that John Carpenter’s The Thing had sequels before its release is one of the main reasons why 2011’s The Thing is a prequel. In 1991, Dark Horse Comics released a collection of comic books penned by screenwriter Chuck Pfarrer. They took place a day after The Thing, which came out in 1982, and John Carpenter even considers this comic to be a good continuation of his story.
- Mary Elizabeth Winstead as Kate Lloyd
- Joel Edgerton as Sam Carter
- Ulrich Thomsen as Dr. Sander Halvorson
- Eric Christian Olsen as Adam Finch
- Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje as Derek Jameson
- Paul Braunstein as Griggs
- Kim Bubbs as Juliette
- Trond Espen Seim as Edvard Wolne
- Jan Gunnar Røise as Olav
- Jørgen Langhelle as Lars
- Stig Henrik Hoff as Peder
- Jo Adrian Haavind as Henrik
- Kristofer Hivju as Jonas
- Carsten Bjørnlund as Karl
- Jonathan Lloyd Walker as Colin
- Ole Martin Aune Nilsen as Matias
- Michael Brown as Hank
You can now stream The things on Netflix!
Image Credit – Universal Pictures